Keep Trying!

I can't believe it's been over a year since I posted on this blog and vow to be much more attentive to this in the coming year.
Just this week I helped judge artwork at the local junior livestock and homemaking show. It was interesting and inspiring to see such wonderful work being created by local children ages 6 - 12. I was moved by the ability of so many of them and encouraged by the interest of all of them. We were instructed to make comments on each judging sheet. As a sometimes instructor of adults who have shared their childhood experiences with me, I strived to find positive comments for every piece and to frame negatives and suggestions in a constructive manner.
I thought about abandoning my blog as it takes time away from other things I might like to do a little more. But then, I thought about how easy it is to give up on things and that's what so many kids do even though there was something they longed to communicate. So, my message to myself and to you is:
Keep trying! Every time you work on something - you learn something. I'm an artist, teach occasionally, and am always saddened and astouneded to meet people whose work was harshly criticized as a child. There are so many different types and styles of artwork that is pleasing to viewers of varying tastes, that I believe everyone can create art that communicates at some level. You might consider looking through books - and free, online information - about design and color. I find it very helpful to read and look at the work of other artists whose artwork I admire. Don't forget to check your public library for books and videos on art and artists. As long as you are finding some enjoyment and learning, you are succeeding! Only the most extraordinary artists created great art as they began their journey and many of those weren't recognized until their journey in this world had ended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIP: Colored pencil breaking? Time to start baking!

Zentangle, Zendoodle...

Finally Finished Cypress Trees in Colored Pencil