What is it?

This doesn't look like anything more than a bunch of squiggles, right? When you look up close, even the most realistic renderings can look very abstract. I have to remind myself, as I do my students, to "draw what you see, not what you think you know". We all develop some kind of preconceived ideas of how things should look from a very early age. To accurately reproduce what we see, it is helpful to shift away from naming the object or thinking about what it is. Focusing in on small areas and duplicating what we see rather than what it is helps to make the shift.  This is a small area - about 4" square from a 16 x 22 image. It's Prismacolor pencil on Stonehenge paper.  I hope to finish it within the next couple of weeks and will share the whole image here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIP: Colored pencil breaking? Time to start baking!

Zentangle, Zendoodle...

Finally Finished Cypress Trees in Colored Pencil